I am sitting here looking at a five (5) page document entitled: “Emergency Order of Local Health Officer” essentially putting forth a shelter in place order for Dickinson County, Ks. As the leader of our local hospital and clinics I am encouraging all who can to please do as asked and remain home if you are able.
As part of the healthcare workforce our staff can’t remain home. We have posted NO VISITORS and have limited the access by directing patients to the clinics, ER entrance and front entrance (for registration) during normal business hours. Our frontline staff is committed to being here for the community and they; like healthcare workers everywhere are afraid and worried for their safety and the safety of their families during this unprecedented period.
I share this because I want to clearly guide you as you use and need our services.
- If you think you are having a heart attack, stroke or have experienced a trauma…COME TO THE Emergency Department immediately. THIS IS CONSIDERED AN EMERGENCY!!!!
- If you have symptoms of allergies, cold or flu or COVID-19 please call the clinic and/or hospital so that we can guide you on next steps and be prepared to properly meet and greet you if you come to the hospital or clinic for care.
- If you have traveled out of the area; think you may have been exposed to COVID-19 because you traveled to an area where people are sick with the virus; even if you do not have symptoms KDHE instructs you to self-QUARANTINE at home for 14 days.
- You may be encouraged to remain home and treat your symptoms.
- If you do come to our facilities please place a mask on immediately.
- DO NOT BRING YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY OR GROUP OF FRIENDS WITH YOU. Come alone or if unable to drive yourself bring one person.
- If you have symptoms and are suspected of having the coronavirus you will most likely be directed to self-quarantine at home and will be sent home with the CDC instructions to do so. If your symptoms are severe enough you may be hospitalized.
- Please don’t make the Emergency Room your first point of access with matters that could be handled by a provider in one of our clinics. Please help us keep everyone safe by calling us when you need help to navigate your healthcare needs.
Isabel Schmedemann, CEO